A Natural, Low Dose, Reduced or Minimal stimulation IVF (often called a Mini IVF) is really just a subset of IVF that uses a reduced medication protocol designed to recruit a few (but high quality) eggs.
Mini IVF is good for options for many reasons including:
- Low or Diminished Ovarian Reserve (DOR): Women with DOR may not respond well to the stimulating medications anyway, so taking fewer medications doesn’t mean fewer eggs.
- Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS): Those at risk for OHSS like those with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) may be a good candidate to reduce the risk of hyperstimulated ovaries.
- Costs: You will save money on medications. Know, however, by taking fewer medications there is a chance fewer embryos are made meaning you may have to do another more costly IVF cycle rather than using your remaining frozen embryos for an affordable FET (FETs within one year of your IVF cycle are only $450).
- Philosophy: Some feel that this treatment protocol is more in line with their philosophical beliefs as it reduces the risk of ovarian hyperstimulation as well as reduces the chance of having a large number of remaining embryos after attaining a clinical pregnancy. While there are many suitable options to dealing with these remaining embryos including storing them for the future, discarding them, and our favorite at CNY, embryo donation, many would prefer not to have to make this choice at all.
Although there is no one definition of a reduced/minimal stimulation (Mini) IVF protocol, the steps are generally similar to a standard IVF cycle (only with less medications). That is, a Mini IVF cycle still consists of a baseline, follicular development, egg and sperm retrieval and preparation, fertilization, embryo development, embryo transfer, and the establishment of clinical pregnancy.
To learn more, head standard IVF page.
The cost of Mini IVF for our self-pay clients is the same as our traditional IVF, $3,900. The savings in doing a Mini IVF cycle opposed to a traditional IVF cycle is found in the cost of medications.
- ICSI fertilization
- assisted hatching
- ONE fresh embryo transfer; If you are not pregnant with your fresh transfer, Frozen Embryo Transfers will be discounted to $450 per transfer, within your first year.
- cryopreservation & storage of remaining embryos for up to 12 months
IVF with in house monitoring is $4,700.
Medications are not included in the cost of our IVF cycles and can vary quite a bit even when doing a Mini Cycle. The cost of medications for most Mini Cycles are under $1,500 but can be substantially less if you use no injectables or do a natural IVF Cycle.
Embryo glue is a brand name embryo medium. We conducted a clinical trial with embryo glue for 1 year and determined that it offered no advantage to clients across the board. There may still be a few select cases where embryo glue provides a slight boost in implantation rates so it is still a service we offer. Please feel free to discuss with your provider. Embryo glue incurs an extra fee.
PICSI is a procedure that allows embryologists to select the sperm used to fertilize an egg in a way that mimics biological processes. When fertilizing eggs using ICSI, an individual sperm is selected for fertilization based solely on visual observations (shape and movement behavior). Using the PICSI procedure, our embryologists are able to determine sperm selection in a similar way to natural human reproduction. During the PICSI procedure, the male’s sperm is placed in a “PICSI Dish” containing hyaluronan, a naturally occurring protein expressed on egg cells. Mature, biologically competent sperm are able to bind to this protein. Research shows that sperm that bind to hyaluronan polymer have a lower probability of chromosomal abnormalities and higher DNA integrity. This allows our embryologists to select a higher quality sperm for the ICSI procedure. There is an extra fee for the PICSI procedure.
We offer in-house financing for up to two years allowing you to make payments as low as $204/month. Our in-house payment plans are interest-free, but we charge an account maintenance fee of $450 per 6 months financed (roughly $40/month).