Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) for Fertility
We discuss various nutrients and dietary supplements in this article that may or may not be helpful. If you purchase recommended products, services, or treatments, it may benefit CNY Fertility financially. Read more about our financial relationships here. The supplements discussed in this article are not intended to treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, take any medications, or have been diagnosed with a medical condition, consult with a healthcare provider before taking any dietary supplement.
Sperm and egg development and maturation are highly complex processes, require a great deal of energy, and are subject to oxidative damage.
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a biomolecule that exists naturally in the human body and is present in every cell. It exists in a dance between its two common states, ubiquinone, and the active form ubiquinol. It acts as a potent antioxidant and functions critically in cellular energy generation. As the body ages, CoQ10 levels diminish, and our ability to convert CoQ10 into its active form also deteriorates.
Because of this, CoQ10 is used widely as a dietary supplement to support various aspects of health and wellness and has been looked at extensively to see if it can help support sperm and egg quality or other aspects of male and female fertility.
This article will discuss what CoQ10 is, discuss how it might help fertility, review various studies on CoQ10 and fertility, and discuss the best CoQ10 supplements for fertility.
Fast Facts About CoQ10 and Fertility
- Sperm and egg cells require a lot of energy to develop and are prone to destructive oxidation.
- Coenzyme Q10 functions as an antioxidant and in the key energy-generating pathway within cells.
- Levels of CoQ10 decrease as you age. Taking CoQ10 supplements can increase blood and tissue CoQ10 levels.
- CoQ10 supplementation has been shown to improve egg quality, sperm quality, and pregnancy rates.
- Sperm and eggs both take about 90 days to develop. For best results, fertility specialists recommend taking CoQ10 and other fertility supplements for 90+ days if possible.
- CNY Fertility recommends Molecular Fertility, a line of fertility-specific supplements developed internally by our specialists to support various aspects of male and female fertility. We recommend the Ovarian Bloom and Male Preconception+ both of which contain CoQ10 for optimizing sperm and egg health. Alternatively, CoQ10 can be taken as a stand-alone nutrient in its Ubiquinone and Ubiquinol form.
How CoQ10 Works
Coenzyme Q10 helps to improve fertility and the functioning of our cells in two main ways.
- CoQ10 is a vital part of the electron transport chain, which is responsible for generating energy in our cells. When CoQ10 levels are higher, the electron transport chain works more quickly and efficiently to produce energy. When more energy is produced, cells function at a higher level, positively impacting processes like sperm and egg development.
- CoQ10 functions as a strong antioxidant. CoQ10 works to protect our cells and decrease the damaging effects of free radicals on our reproductive system.
It is theorized that these are the mechanisms whereby CoQ10 may help improve sperm and egg quality.
CoQ10 for Egg Quality and Female Fertility
It is no secret that fertility declines as we age, and for women, that decline is much more rapid and drastic. When we say women’s fertility declines as they age, what we are specifically referring to is the number of eggs they have available (ovarian reserve) and the quality of their eggs.
As previously mentioned, Coenzyme Q10 levels also decrease as we age. A 2015 study showed that suboptimal levels of CoQ10 can lead to oocyte deficits and age-associated declines in fertility. The good news is that the same study produced results indicating that supplementing CoQ10 can help to reverse the age-related decline in oocyte quantity and quality. In simpler terms, CoQ10 can help support egg quality as you age.
But CoQ10 hasn’t just been shown to help older women. CoQ10 has also been shown to improve egg and embryo quality and improve pregnancy rates in younger women as well.
Co-Q10 for Male Fertility and Sperm Quality
The concentration of CoQ10 in the blood has been shown to correlate with key semen parameters such as sperm concentration, motility, and morphology. Researchers believe this is because CoQ10 supplementation improves total antioxidant capacity.
A 2015 study of 60 men demonstrated improvements in a few measures of male fertility, sperm count and moitlity. Sperm count improved by 53%, and total sperm motility increased by 26% after supplementation.
Other studies have supported findings similar to these and routinely demonstrate improvements in sperm concentration, motility, progressive motility, and sperm morphology.
Coq10 Dosage for Fertility
Most people consume between 3mg and 6mg of Coenzyme Q10 daily through their diet alone, mainly by eating meat products. Most fertility specialists recommend taking anywhere between 100mg and 600mg of CoQ10 daily.
As with all nutrients or supplements, be sure to consult with your doctor, especially if you are taking medications, have health concerns, or are already pregnant.
CoQ10 vs. Ubiquinol for Fertility
CoQ10 can exist in its oxidized form, ubiquinone, or in its reduced and active form, ubiquinol. The conversion process of ubiquinone to ubiquinol is complex and involves as many as five different enzymes. The process of converting the inactive ubiquinone form to active ubiquinol is easily done when we are young but becomes more difficult as we age.
While its possible ubiquinol may be better for this reason, both forms have been shown to support fertility.
The Best CoQ10 Brand for Fertility
When choosing fertility supplements, you generally want to look for products that contain the most absorbable and bioavailable forms of each nutrient as well as products that combine multiple key nutrients. At CNY Fertility, we developed our own line of supplements called Molecular Fertility that does just this.
Stand-alone CoQ10 Supplement for Men and Women
If you’re looking for a stand-alone CoQ10 supplement for fertility then you should consider Molecular Fertility’s CoQ10 Ubiquinone or Ubiquinol, both of which use utilize a technologically advanced VESIsorb® delivery system which has been shown to increase CoQ10 absorbability and bioavailability significantly.
One study showed VESIsorb® delivery system improves peak blood levels of CoQ10 by 696% and the relative bioavailability by 485%. By increasing the absorption and bioavailability of ubiquinol, these supplements produce faster and better results.
Fertility Supplement with CoQ10 for Women
If you’re looking for a female fertility supplement that contains CoQ10 and other nutrients that work synergistically for egg health, then take a look at the Ovarian Bloom. The Ovarian Bloom contains 100 mg of VESIsorb CoQ10 and other nutrients to support egg quality.
CoQ10 Supplement for Men
Molecular Fertility’s Male Preconception+ is designed with a broad range of nutrients, including CoQ10, to optimally support sperm count, motility, morphology, and DNA integrity.
CoQ10 is possibly the most famous fertility nutrient and it’s famous for good reason. Many studies have demonstrated that CoQ10 can help to support both male and female fertility.