EVENT UPDATE – This open forum has been rescheduled from a previous date to April 1, 2014. It will take place at 10:30am in Hearing Room C of the Legistlative Office Bldg in Albany, NY.
PURPOSE: To hear from stakeholders regarding New York State’s Child-Parent Security Act, and to discuss the impacts the legislation would have on the lives of parents, children, gestational carriers, and gamete donors. Questions about this public forum may be directed to Burton Phillips, Counsel to State Senator Brad Hoylman at (518) 455-2452 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
RESOLVE, ASRM, AAARTA members, and other organizations including Empire State Pride Agenda continue to work together on advancing the Child-Parent Security Act. On Monday, March 3, 2014, Assemblywoman Amy Paulin and Senator Brad Hoylman will be hosting a Legislative Forum on this bill in Albany. Several experts will speak along with families impacted by the current ban on compensated gestational carrier agreements in NY as well as other parentage issues corrected in this bill. Speaking for RESOLVE will be Board Director Risa Levine. If you are in the Albany area, this event is open to the public and you are encouraged to attend.
Recent media coverage on the bill:
- New York Times article
- New York Daily News article
- RESOLVE Letter to the Editor of New York Daily News
January 2014 update on the bill (from RESOLVE’s website):
- Short Description of Bill: The Child Parent Security Act provides clarity regarding the status of sperm, egg and embryo donors and the parentage of children born from these assisted reproductive technologies. It will update New York law relating to gestational carrier surrogacy and provide a legal mechanism to establish parentage immediately upon the child’s birth. The bill will establish standards for formation of a legal parent-child relationship after the birth of a child in circumstances where an individual functioned as a parent with the mutual consent and intent of that adult and the child’s legal parent. Introduced by Assemblywoman Amy Paulin and Senator Brad Hoylman.
- Current status of the Bill in the legislative process: The Bill has been referred to the Judiciary Committee in the Assembly and the Children and Families Committee in the Senate.
- Link to Senate Bill: S4617
- Link to Assembly Bill: A6701
- Local Volunteer Needs: Please send your letter to the NY State Senators and Assemblypersons in support of this bill. If you live in NY and want to get involved, please contact RESOLVE email@example.com. If you know of organizations that should support this bill, RESOLVE will be coordinating advocacy efforts with a number of groups and organizations. Please forward information on possible groups and organizations to RESOLVE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Press Release from Assemblywoman Paulin
Request Consultation or Appointment
If you are a new patient and would like an initial fertility consultation, in-office or over the phone, please visit this link and fill out our New Appointment Form or call us toll free at 800-539-9870.