April is a CNY Fertility Center patient and has been on her journey to fertility for approximately two years. April will share candid stories and a unique perspective on the fertility challenges many women and couples face.
Week 11: A little bit at a time
I am the oldest of 13 grandchildren and every once in a while my grandparents, who are in their mid-eighties, pass a bit of their wisdom onto me. When my husband and I visited my terminally ill grandfather in the hospital this past weekend Gran’pa gave me a short but meaningful response when I asked him how he was doing. “A little bit at a time.” I remember thinking to myself how those six words could be applied to many of life’s experiences, especially those revolving around infertility.
I have many overwhelming fleeting thoughts around my ability to conceive. This month my fleeting thoughts have been about my many appointments. I have more scheduled this month because we have decided to add some Western fertility treatments to our routine. My mind also keeps questioning why I haven’t become pregnant yet. Additionally, I have already let that nagging feeling about how I will handle teaching again next month and fitting in various doctor appointments. No wonder I feel overwhelmed! Therefore, I am making a resolution: I will take this whole process a little bit at a time.
The question is how can I commit to a little bit at a time when I have a tendency to consider the whole month or the entire long term plan? Here is how I intend to minimize my wandering thoughts:
1. Focus on what I am doing today (and only today) that will foster my fertility. Today’s list: take my BBT, go to an acupuncture appointment, check with the doctor’s office about an appointment I need to make next week and ask about the insurance process, pick up my medication from Fed Ex, do some yoga and/or walking.
2. Remind myself of the following:
- I am consistently doing everything I can to establish my fertility
- I have a team of specialists who are focused on maximizing our chances of conceiving
- We have many friends and family rooting for us and praying for us
- I believe it will happen and so does my husband (I am just tired of waiting!)
My intention for you this week would be to consistently focus on the day’s appointments and accomplishments. Let’s all make every attempt to re-focus our minds on today and to worry about tomorrow’s appointments and accomplishments tomorrow! I will let you know how it goes.
Many, many blessings,
April all Year
PS – I love reading your comments. Thank you to everyone who has posted! Sharing is a great way to support each other as we continue on our journey toward motherhood.
Below are links to April’s past articles in case you missed any of them: